Wednesday, May 28, 2008

2 Great days in San Pedro de Atacama (Chile) and off for 4 days via 4x4 to Salar de Uyuni(Bolivia) to visit old friends

Hi All,

Sorry to be brief but its 9:30pm and I am STARVING!

We arrived in Atacama 2 days ago and rented very nice bikes for the last 2 days for about $20 each...yesterday we rode to some inca and pre inca ruins and today explored the Valle de la Luna - both days were EXTROADINARY :) both times we got a bit of the beaten track and explored some cave using only our camera for lighting....sadly we would have failed an AR gear cheack ;)

I have no time to upload pics but our camera were getting hot!

Tomorrow we leave for a 4 day 3 night 4x4 tour into the remote regions surrounding the Salar de Uyuni. With a bit of extra cash for the tour company I have arranged to hopefully fulfil a promise i made to a very small and poor village that were very kind to me when I struggles into the village last september when I did a 6 week solo mountain bike tour of Bolivia - you can read about the village at http://nealinbolivia.blogspot.com/2007/11/day-21-salinas-to-tahua-40km735-hours.html The old blog was very handy as I did not know the name and the villiage is too small to show up on maps...I have been able to print out the hand drawn map and some pics i have for the kids :) The local venders in Atacama have assisted with substantial discounts and Julia and i will hopefully be able to deliver some school and madical supplies in a couple of days.

Julia is a bit under the weather but nothing serious (so no posting from her for a today) but I am sure she will be back to kicking my butt tomorrow :)

All the very best and cheers,
Neal

No comments: